1. Empty Space: Vacancies or empty space on any real estate development or property will only result in one thing. It will mean that property is not making money. If it is not making money, it is normally losing it. As an owner this may mean you need to make changes in the price, or use of a particular property. As a potential buyer, this many mean you want take advantage of a low price. Vacancies and empty space influence property prices like nothing else.
2. Loan to Value: Many people have found out the importance of the market value of their property after the markets last crashed. Property values have been falling for some time. Many people loaned much more than the value of their property today. Anyone who is considering a loan to purchase a property must consider such potential for disaster.
3. Debt Coverage: Any investment in property will probably earn a specific amount of income. In the best cases that will cover the amount of debt and other costs associated with owning and managing that property. A property investor will become alarmed when they know the revenue of their property cannot meet the needs to service the property and the debt. A property is not turning into much of an investment if it cannot cover its own costs.
4. Capitalization: The capitalization rate of a property is related to the net operating income and the value in the market place. For example, some investors could be getting 10% return on their investment in a hotel. The capitalization rate is a market driven result. This could change greatly over the period of your investment. Over the long term, this could change greatly. Understanding this and the implications are very important for anyone considering a particular property.
5. Cash Flow: Numbers and accounting is one thing. Not having the money to pay the bills as they come in is another. Delayed payments can cause many businesses to go under even though on paper, they are very profitable. The main defense against this happening is having the cash to support an extended amount of payments while we wait for revenue to arrive. There can only be a certain amount of this, or it does not make sense.
There is nothing easy about getting involved in investment properties. There is nothing simple about making the calculations to predict the future. Understanding how property valuation software and other software can assist will only help if you know what you need to know in the first place. If you are new to property investment, you will need to learn a lot, understand general principles as mentioned above, get all the help through professional tools you can, and most of all, step carefully into the world of investment.